Thursday, February 18, 2010

Children, are they overscheduled or are we in denial?



















In a country who supports everything children: sports; before and after school programs; music lessons; organized clubs, church activities,etc. -we sure don't let them be children. Why does it seem that childhood is getting taken from them by all of our adult-organized demands? When did we get so wrapped up into thinking life is one big competitive meet? Maybe some of us are guilty and displace what we thought about our childhood and make it up to our children by overcompensating. Denial is a powerful mechanism.



I'm not bashing these parents because I'm sure they had great intentions when they signed them up for three or four activities. I'm also not saying that extracurricular programs are without benefits, just not too many at one time. Finding maybe one sport that your child truly enjoys and can explore where it takes them. Yes motivation is key, a learned trait but unneeded stress is not. "Okay little Suzie, now hurry up and have fun so we can get to your next practice."

I can remember having fun when I was a kid and the most memorable of all memories were the ones when I was left to my own devices. I had such an imagination, partly because I liked to read and doodle. Sure, I was signed up for activities but not many and I didn't feel neglected. Actually, since I did have open slots in my calendar, I was able to foster friendships and hang with my family. It's become a popular subject now how eating together as a family is important. Scheduling time with your child at the dinner table has become the norm...really?


Mini successful adults is what comes to my mind when I see adults pushing children too far. The pressure to succeed is a bar held high and is a social status marker. If you can cram this "success" thinking into a child, what are they going to look forward to as an adult? I don't think it's right to take that innocence away from them-what joys of childhood will they remember and have to compare it with? "Getting ahead" is an adult branding which has no relevance to the special and unique phase of development children are in.


There just might be less issues with depression and stress and a myriad of other adult-like symptoms if we lighten up a bit. Do we as adults, like to be hurried and stressed out until our eyes bulge? Kids aren't learning what self-reflection is or how to simply be by oneself without constantly being monitored. I was under the impression that when we were kids, we didn't like when our parents chose for us. Maybe just maybe, we are trying to live through them rather than guide them. Kids can sure show us a thing or two.




3 comments:

  1. Well said! I sometimes feel guilty when our little man has open slots in his schedule, but then I watch him using his imagination, creating his own "to do" list. ..and I realize that for him, life is not about filling his social calendar, it's about being able to play and enjoy. When I look at him, I see a happy child. . .and that makes me think, "I must be doing something right!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great mom...W/out "me" time, imaginations wont get fostered. I think childhood is way too short, so why take it away from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn’t agree more with you on this one. Nothing is as sacred as childhood is. To have it over booked and running around from commitment to commitment is robbing them of creating their own little world! My best childhood memories were spontaneous fun moments...not something that was put up on a calendar months ago.

    ReplyDelete